Introduction to the course
Biotechnology is one of the interdisciplinary subjects of biological science. The different courses of our Department deal with the major fundamental and as well as modern elements of the global significance of biotechnology. The main focus of our course is to identify every scientific detail of the subject both in the context of “traditional” versus “modern” biotechnological processes designed according to the current needs of the society. The main objective of the course is to make students well fitted for different biotechnological processes/ products and enterprises with a modern global outlook.
What are the learning outcomes?
To acquire in depth knowledge of fundamental principles and processes of biotechnology.
To develop a complete knowledge of the discipline through different modes of teaching, i.e. hands-on practical training, scientific model building, independent learning and scientific product development.
To acquire better awareness of the major issues at the forefront of the discipline.
To design and carry out different scientific experiments and to interpret experimental data.
To focus on a scientific problem and to develop an original research proposal on it.
To develop skills related to gaining of employment in the different industries in the field of Biotechnology i.e. pharmaceutical, agricultural, medicinal and nano biotechnology.
We cover a wide range of subjects as per the requirement of different graduate and post-graduate courses, such as animal & plant biotechnology, genomics & proteomics, immunotechnology, food technology, environmental technology, molecular biology & recombinant DNA technology, genetic engineering, general biochemistry, microbiology, bioethics & intellectual property rights, biotechnology entrepreneurship etc.
Specializations offered in the form generic Elective (GE), Discipline Specific Elective (DSE) and Skill Enhancement Course (SEC).
Highly sophisticated biological laboratories that include Molecular Biology Lab, Bioinformatics Lab, Microbiology Lab, Biochemistry Lab, General Chemistry Lab, Biophysical and Instrumentation Lab
Following are some of the institutions where we help our students to get internships
• AMRI Hospital, Dhakuria, Kolkata
• Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine
• Chittaranjan National Cancer Institute, Hazra
• Dr. KPC Life Science Pvt. Ltd.
• East India Pharmaceutical Works Ltd.
• Gandhiji Prem Niwas Leprosy Centre, Kolkata
• Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER), Berhampur
• Murshidabad Medical College and Hospital
• National institute of Immunology, New Delhi
• North Bengal Medical College and Hospital, Siliguri.
Placement & Career Opportunities / Research Opportunities
Following are the names of some of the companies/organizations as potential recruiters
• Bharat Biotech International
• Biocon Ltd
• Biotech Consortium India Limited
• Centre for Cellular and Molecular Platforms
• Genepact, Gurgaon
• Indian Immunologicals Limited
• Intas Biopharmaceuticals
• International associations or exchange programs etc
• Life Technologies (India)
• Serum Institute of India
• Shantha Biotechnics
• Strand Life Sciences
• Therapeutics Chemical Research Corporation, Mumbai
• Thyrocare Technologies Ltd., Mumbai.
Adamas University is also working in close cooperation with more than a dozen of potential partner universities in Canada, France, Hungary, Italy, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Spain, UK and USA.
Minimum 50% aggregate in10th or equivalent examination and minimum 60% aggregate in 10 +2 or equivalent from any recognized board with respective subjects, subject to securing a minimum of 45% marks in each individual subject
Duration (in Year): 3